The most important measure an urban teacher can take to advance the academic achievement of students is to create a caring, inclusive, safe and supportive learning environment centered on respecting cultural and intellectual diversity.
Mindful that learning is a deeply personal, deeply human endeavor, I seek to be a culturally responsive and reflective practitioner, cognizant of the developmental needs of the diverse urban learners I serve and aware of my shifting roles and responsibilities as a leader, listener, advisor and advocate. My philosophy of quality urban classroom management in a caring, inclusive, safe and supportive environment includes the following key components:
- Standards-based lessons are linked to specific learning targets and a formative assessment strategy;
- Engaging and challenging content presented in the context of students' real lives and real-world experiences;
- Student-centered, dialogic instruction and cooperative learning;
- Feedback to each learner occurs regularly;
- High expectations are established and learners are provided with opportunities for success.